Channel 10 confirms axing of TV favourite

Channel 10 confirms axing of TV favourite, I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here

Network 10 has confirmed the axing of the popular reality show after rumours swirled last week about its future.

Network 10 has officially confirmed the axing of “I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!”

Last week, news.com.au reported the news that the reality TV program was rumoured to be getting the axe, with a spokesperson from the network claiming the decision was yet to be made.

Network 10 has confirmed I’m A Celeb will not be returning next year. Picture: Supplied
Network 10 has confirmed I’m A Celeb will not be returning next year. Picture: Supplied

Now, that decision has been settled with Network 10 confirming that the popular program will not be returning to our screens… for now.

“We have made the decision to rest I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here! in 2027 as we focus on offering our audience a range of content on all platforms,” a 10 spokesperson said, hinting they may revive it in years to come.

As for the hosts of the program? They’ll likely be shifted over to other programs within the network.

“We look forward to working with [current hosts] Julia Morris and Robert Irwin on other projects,” the statement added.

EMBARGOED ONLINE JAN 30 10PM I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here! contestants. Picture: Supplied/Nigel Wright for Ten.
EMBARGOED ONLINE JAN 30 10PM I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! contestants. Picture: Supplied/Nigel Wright for Ten.

Last week, rumours were rife that the show, filmed in the South African jungle and a hit with many families across the country, was on the out.

TV Blackbox suggested at the time that the supposed cancellation is down to budget cuts within the network.

SMH also reported that several sources from 10 and production company ITV Studios Australia claimed the network was eager to keep the show running, but the costs were proving to be too high with the current format.

“10 has been running the ruler over I’m a Celeb for months on end,” one source told the publication.

“They’ve been looking at every possible option to make it stack up financially but in the end, it’ll come down to whether or not they can justify the cost.”

Irwin, who joined the show in 2023, replacing Morris’ longtime co-host Dr Chris Brown, released a heartfelt statement about the show’s departure.

“I want to express what an absolute privilege it has been to work on this show for the past three seasons. I grew up watching this show as so many Aussies do, so to be part of the fantastic team that make this series a reality felt like a dream come true,” he said.

“We have had the honour of sharing incredible stories and create a platform to shine a light on amazing charities that our celebrities have supported along the way. And to do it all alongside my co-host, and friend, Julia Morris made it a truly life-changing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.”

The end of an era. Picture: Supplied
The end of an era. Picture: Supplied

The Wildlife Warrior is also rumoured to be in negotiations with rival networks.

I’m A Celeb has been a favourite with viewers as they follow a host of celebrities head into the jungle to face terrifying challenges with the goal of winning $100,000 for their chosen charity.

Last year, Aussie comedian Concetta Caristo was crowned Jungle Queen.

Former NRL star Sam Thaiday, Abbie Chatfield, Casey Donovan and Brendan Fevola are also among the winners of the series from previous years.