Major questions have been raised about the security of Australia’s largest mental health facility after two patients escaped and allegedly killed three people.
A man accused of killing two women in an allegedly stolen vehicle in Camden, southwest Sydney, on Saturday had reportedly escaped Cumberland Hospital just six days prior.
Police allege the 31-year-old driver had stolen a red Toyota sedan and crashed into the pair on the Old Hume Highway following a police chase.
He had reportedly been detained involuntarily at the hospital under the NSW Mental Health Act but threatened a nurse and stole their access card on February 8.
The news is just one day after it was revealed Setefano Mooniai Leaaetoa absconded from the same facility while being transferred to another hospital.
He is accused of stabbing three people, killing one, in a rampage on Smythe St in Merrylands, west Sydney, on Tuesday – just 10 days after he allegedly fled from treatment.
Cumberland Hospital, located near Westmead Hospital in west Sydney’s Parramatta, is the country’s largest psychiatric hospital. It can hold up to 260 in-patients and is used by the NSW corrective services to house prisoners undergoing mental health treatment.
There is no suggestion either of the aforementioned patients were detained by corrective services.



Reports emerged in June 2025 of Cumberland Hospital having critical staffing shortages.
An investigation by Four Corners found several cases of patients suffering from schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia and paranoid ideation waiting more than 80 hours to speak with doctors.
A security guard at the hospital, recalled patients becoming violent while waiting for treatment – especially those being involuntarily held and unable to leave.
‘I’ve been bit, I’ve been punched, I’ve been kicked, I’ve been spat on,’ he said.
‘In June (2024), I was called to attend the emergency department for a code black. There was a patient who was very irritated. He had been there for over 12 hours.
‘A nurse came over and explained to the patient that they were going to sedate him. He obviously wasn’t too happy with that…
‘As soon as he saw the needle, he pretty much stood up from the bed, jumped on my back, pulled a knife out of his jacket and stabbed me in the neck.
‘I thought I was going to die.’

Disturbing cases have similarly been reported online with the hospital boasting a shocking 2.4 rating out of 5 stars on Google.
‘Please do not make the same mistakes as I did and don’t send anyone you love here,’ one wrote.
‘My stay in Cumberland Hospital was mostly chaotic, I was one of many patients at the hospital that was attacked by a bully,’ another said.
‘Excellent nursing staff but very poorly staffed with qualified doctors at critical times,’ another wrote.
A spokesperson for Western Sydney Local Health District, which operates the hospital, on Wednesday told the ABC it takes safety seriously.
‘The safety of our patients and staff is a priority for Western Sydney Local Health District,’ the spokesperson said.
Daily Mail has contacted Western Sydney Local Health District for further comment.